Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Wonderful Journey

Hello blogger's,

They say every great adventure starts with a simple step. So let's work together to ensure our next step is in the right direction.

I have just returned from Joburg (I attended the Getaway Show) to market the Wild Coast, an in particular, my family business, Crawford's Beach Lodge. I am quite shocked at how few people are familiar with the Wild Coast. And those that are only really know of Coffee Bay and Hole-in-the-Wall, and mostly from a long time ago. Did you know the WC even has it's own Big 5: Donkeys, cows, goats, sheep and dogs.

The WC is mostly made up of the the former Transkei coastline. Beginning in East London, it stretches North to Port Edward in Natal.

I had the pleasure of growing up at Umngazi River Bungalows. Another fantastic holiday destination. Growing up amongst the locals, I began speaking Xhosa before English. I'm not nearly as fluent now, as I stopped speaking the lingo regularly once I started school in the "old days". My best friend was my "gilly" Vincent, whom I spent may a day fishing and funnily enough, chasing wild lizards. My father tells me one came and sun-baked himself in my bedroom every afternoon.

The Wild Coast is as every bit as magical as the stories you hear. So my mission to share stories and create an awareness of the most beautiful coastline available to us has begun with a single step. This Step.

- Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment